Here's more about the book and the character of the day, Marisa!
In the small town of Lewis Creek, baseball is everything. Especially for all-star pitcher Austin Braxton, who has a one-way ticket out of town with his scholarship to a top university. All that stands between him and a new start is one final season. But when Austin starts flunking Chemistry, his picture-perfect future is in jeopardy. A failing grade means zero playing time, and zero playing time means no scholarship.
Enter Marisa Marlowe, the new girl in town who gets a job at his momma's flower shop. Not only is Marisa some home-schooled super-genius, she's also a baseball fanatic and more than willing to help Austin study. As the two grow closer, there's something about Marisa that makes Austin want more than just baseball and out of Lewis Creek--he wants a future with her. But Marisa has a past that still haunts her, one that she ran all the way to South Carolina to escape.
As Austin starts to peel back the layers of Marisa's pain, it forces him to look beyond the facade of himself and everyone he thought he knew in his town. What he sees instead is that in a small town like Lewis Creek, maybe baseball isn't everything--maybe it is just the the that ties them all together.
WOW! I can't wait to read it!!
You can preorder now at AMAZON, B&N, BOOK DEPOSITORY, and INDIEBOUND.
Now for the interview with Marisa!
1. What do you love about school? Do you have a favorite subject?
Austin calls me a weirdo because I love Chemistry, but…I LOVE Chemistry. It’s fascinating to discover how things function and work together.
2. Have you always been home-schooled?
My mom started homeschooling me near the end of junior year.
3. Do you want to go to college? If so, what do you want to study?
I’m going to University of South Carolina after graduation! I’m super excited. I was set on Chemistry for a long time, but I think my dad may have convinced me to go Pre-Med? Kind of crazy.
4. Why work at a flower shop? What’s your favorite flower?
When my family and I moved to Lewis Creek, I’d been cooped up for way too long. I love my parents, but…yeah. Way too much time together. I was desperate to get out and just meet people, and to have something that made me feel, I don’t know, normal? So when I saw the ad for Braxton’s Bouquets, I thought, “Why the heck not.”
My favorite flower is a purple rose.
5. What drew you to the small town of Lewis Creek?
I’d just been accepted to University of South Carolina when my parents decided that it was time to move away from Baltimore. Both my parents grew up in South Carolina, and since I’d be moving here soon anyway, they figured we’d all move down here together.
6. What have you always wanted but never asked for?
Hm. That’s a tough one.
Understanding, maybe? I know I can be hard to handle. I know it’s not always easy to be friends with me. And I have a hard time asking people for that understanding.
7. What qualities are you looking for in a friend?
*points above* Understanding, even if I do hate asking for it. Loyal. Trustworthy. Someone who makes me laugh, because laughing is the actual best. Oh, and a baseball fan, please.
8. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I’d be more open. But it’s hard.
9. If you could meet anyone living or dead, who would it be?
If you could give me ten minutes with Chipper Jones, I’d be yours forever.
10. What do you like about yourself?
I’m smart. I can fill in the periodic table without cheating. And I like that.
11. What do you like about Austin?
Austin…he’s a good one. Super-adorkable. Unbelievably sweet. Pretty goofy. The whole understanding-thing comes naturally to him. And he doesn’t push. He never pushes.
And we won’t even talk about that grin of his. Or his accent. Both of which snagged me from the get-go.
12. If you could have anything in the world, what would it be?
World peace? KIDDING. Okay, not really—world peace would be awesome.
I want the world. I want college and friends and love. I want a job and a family and a place in the world to call my own. I want to travel. I want to be happy. And I kind of think that happiness is something we make for ourselves, so I want to make it happen.
13. Do you have a favorite candy? If so, what is it? Or if not, what’s your go-to snack?
I’m not really a candy person, but give me popcorn or give me death. And Austin got me hooked on barbecue, which I kind of hate him for.
14. What do you love about baseball? Do you have a favorite team?
Baseball is MAGIC. That field, and those bleachers? They’re home. Favorite team: the Atlanta Braves. Always and forever.
15. Do you play a sport? If not, do you wish you did?I played softball until I started homeschool, and I miss it like crazy. Luckily, I know a guy who can sneak me onto the field. J Oh, and I can totally kick his friends’ butts at the batting cages. They’ll never admit it, but take my word for it.
OH MY GOSH, I love this girl already!
Michelle Smith was born and raised in North Carolina, where she developed a healthy appreciation for college football, sweet tea, front porches, and a well-placed “y’all.” She’s a lover of all things happy, laughs way too much, and fully believes that a little bit of kindness goes a long way.
Michelle lives near the Carolina coast with her family.
a Rafflecopter giveaway