Fear Can Eat It

Eat what exactly? I don't know....

Unicorn poo. ;)


Design by Mike Jacobsen via Neato Shop

For the first time since I've started the journey of writing toward publication, I woke up in a state of panic. It might have been a panic attack. I'm not sure. I've never had one. 

What does this feeling tell me? I care too much what others think.

Yep. Said it.

Does that mean I hate criticism? No! Never! Well, sometimes. I really L.O.V.E. my critique partners. They are AMAZING!

Actual querying is different. People I haven't met, except for stalking them online, will see my work! (At least the first 5, 10, or whatever amount of pages they want with the query.) *wink wink*

I've met some of the agents on my list at conferences, so I'll be devastated if they pass on my book. I know it will happen. I'm prepared for the form rejection letters that are sure to flood my inbox. Publishing is subjective. I don't always like the books I pick up either. I understand!

Point is, I hate being negative. Heck, I hate having anxiety creep into my mostly non-panicky life, and I have three kids. We've been to the ER, had multiple stitches, but I'm not the mom who freaks out at the sight of blood. So it's extra weird that I'm freaking out over emailing people. 

I wish I could be starry-eyed and innocent, not thinking about the rejection part. During the time I'm querying, I don't want to wake up with a racing heartbeat for no apparent reason. I like to save breathlessness for good romance novels and kissing scenes. Or those wish-they-would-hurry-up-and-kiss scenes! ^-^

What can I do?!?

Feed my fear to a unicorn and see said unicorn poop some rainbows! :)


by Ap Lad via Flicker
How about you? Does sharing your work scare your pants off? How do you deal with the anxiety?

Wishing all the writers out there oodles and boodles of luck finding their perfect road to publication!! Crossing my fingers for you! :)

Comments

Popular Posts